What is an API?
API (Application Programming Interface) - is a standard method of interconnecting systems together.
It lets the developer build a system that can communicate and exchange information with each other in a secure manner.
API integration enables the automation of processes that are traditionally carried out manually.
An API allows a third-party application to use a common set of services via a defined interface.
Why do we need API?
The API allows the app to pull data from multiple sources and handle them in different ways.
The developer from any organization can create personalized applications to help end-users transact through a protected environment.
What are the benefits of using API?
Allows Startup/Fintech to interact with the bank's systems directly.
Saves operational time and brings efficiency in Startup/Fintech’s systems.
Provide opportunities to pilot, test and launch innovative applications.
Why should you choose SBI's APIs?
SBI API platform brings you:
A fully automated banking services platform for enterprise use.
A flexible infrastructure with end-to-end capabilities.
Allows you adapt to the existing application and business needs.
One time integration that lets you control Service Level Management, Governance/Monitoring and Reporting.
What is SBI Open API Banking sandbox?
An Open API banking sandbox is a test environment that allows users to replicate the characteristics of the production environment and create simulated responses from all APIs of the application.
This API sandbox benefits to reduce the cost, minimizes the risk associated with working on third party APIs during testing.
How do a User begin with SBI API Developer Portal?
In order to use SBI's APIs, you have to complete the registration process on the SBI's developer portal.
As a part of the registration process, you are requested to provide your organization's name, mobile number, email id and other important details.
What are the Products available for FinTech's/Startup?
Below are the API Products available at the moment. This list will be expanded as per User request along with Bank continuous improvement process.
1) Foundation Services: These must have APIs for basic banking application Developments e.g., PAN validation etc.
2) Customer Discovery: These APIs provide Customer details, banking details or other relevant discoveries for developing banking applications such as Cross selling etc.
3) Current Account: This segment has essential features for any banking application that requires customer details for opening a Current Account.
4) Personal Loan: This is a one stop solution to provide accessibility to create Pre-approved Loan applications.
5) Payment: SBIePay and other Payment APIs Integration RTGS, NEFT etc.
Which URL/Portal is used to create an account or get registered with SBI Open API banking?
What is URL for State Bank of India IT Innovation Start-up Engagement Program (IT-ISEP)?
Do access of the portal by Fintech’s/Startup Companies entitle them for selection as Vendor Partner of State Bank of India?
Access to this portal don’t entitle any Start-up / Fintech for selection as a vendor partner in State Bank of India.
To get on-boarded as a Start-up / Fintech in State Bank of India, the Start-up / Fintech will be evaluated as per Bank's policy for on-boarding of Start-ups and Fintechs.
How Fintech’s and Startup can formally can get selected as Vendor Partner of State Bank of India?
To get on-boarded as a Start-up in State Bank of India, the Start-up will be evaluated as per laid down Bank's policy for on-boarding of Start-ups and Fintechs.
Please visit below URL to know State Bank of India Policy on Start-up onboarding.
What are the Security Guidelines / Practices of the Bank?
There is a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Supply-Chain Risk Management from the Information security department.
This checklist serves as Security Guidelines / Practices of the Bank which external party need to be complied with during actual Integration with Bank’s environment.
What are Documentations requirement for accessing SBI's Developer Portal & engaging Startups to State Bank of India IT Innovation Start-up Engagement Program (IT-ISEP)?
Below are Documentations requirement for accessing SBI's Developer Portal with their Link to download:
What documents need to be shared with SBI by Start-up / Fintech for accessing Open API Banking Portal APIs?
1) Certificate of Incorporation
2) Board Resolution stating Authorized Signatory
4) DPIIT Recognition Certificate*
5) KYC Docs of Promoters / Directors / Partners
6) Letter (as per attached format) from the company authorizing the employee to use Open API Banking Portal
7) Client References as per the attached format
What documents need to be submitted by Start-up / Fintech during on-boarding as a vendor partner in the Bank?
Below is an illustrative list of documents that needs to be submitted:
1) Memorandum of Association / LLP Agreement
2) Articles of Association / LLP Agreement
3) GST Registration
5) MSME Certificate *
6) ISO Certifications *
7) Trading and P&L for 4 preceding years
8) Detailed resume of the Directors/Founders having the details:
9) Name of the Director
a. Professional Experience, the companies where they have worked, the duration of the engagement, major projects handled during that period.
b. Educational Qualification - must include the name of the college, degree with its specialization, the period of the degree.
c. Any major certification like PMP, CFA, CA, FRM etc.
10) The total number of employees in the company with the breakup of technical and non-technical staff (business analysts, HR, Administration etc.)
11) The investment made by the shareholders / stakeholders in the company. Kindly provide details of the investor (name of the entity/individual) and the amount.
12) Presentation on the proposed product / offering
13) Notarized Affidavit as per attached format#
* Optional Documents
# Applicable only for companies who are eligible as a Start-up as per the Terms and Conditions mentioned in the Notarized Affidavit
All the documents to be signed by the authorized signatory of the company and must bear the company stamp.
What are the eligibility criteria for the entities to be considered as a Start-up?
1) The entity is an Indian firm / company.
2) The entity is neither a subsidiary of a foreign company nor does it have a shareholding in any foreign company. Also, it should not be a Sister concern, Associate or Subsidiary of any other company.
3) The entity has not been formed by splitting up or reconstruction of a business already in existence.
4) The entity is a Startup as on the date of its application to the Bank.
5) Age of the entity is up to a period of ten years from the date of incorporation / registration
6) Turnover of the entity for any of the financial years since incorporation / registration has not exceeded one hundred crore rupees.
7) The Intellectual property rights for the product/services that we wish to offer to SBI is owned by the entity. Further, we ensure that the application / product / solution, code, artefacts, scripts, etc. offered by us have been internally developed by us and not copied, pilfered, hacked, transferred, procured from any other company or individuals.
8) The entity has obtained the 'Certificate of Recognition' as a Startup from the Department of Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, GOI as per Notification No. 127(E) dated 19.02.2019, OR in the process of applying for the same, and will submit the Certificate before formal engagement with the Bank.
9) The entity shall provide training and complete knowledge transfer to Bank’s team within three years from the date of signing of the SLA between Startup and State Bank Group or before exit / termination of the project, whichever is earlier.
What are the eligibility criteria for the entities to be considered as a Fintech?
1) The entity should have been incorporated in India for at least three years as on the date on which it is being considered for engagement under this Policy.
2) The entity should have a minimum net worth of Rs.100 lakh as per its latest audited balance sheet.
3) The entity should be engaged in innovation, development or improvement of products or processes or services with a scalable business model having a high potential of business generation, savings in cost of operations, reduction in risk, improvement in compliance, increase in operational efficiency, etc. for the Bank and / or its subsidiaries and joint ventures.
4) The entity should be using new / emerging / next generation technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Robotic Process Automation, Blockchain, Digital Currencies and Tokens, Internet of Things, Big Data, Predictive Analytics, Cognitive Analytics, Nextgen Encryption and Cryptography, Digital Marketing etc.
5) The Intellectual Property Rights for the product / services offered by the entity should be owned by the entity. The entity must ensure that the application / product / solution, code, artefacts, scripts, etc. offered by them have been developed by them and not copied, pilfered, hacked, transferred, or procured from any other company or individual(s).
6) The entity should be willing to put in escrow the source code, logic, protocols, artefact, design, architecture, code binaries, complete technical solution documentation of the product / software / application / services including the base and customized software and any other related items, necessary to run the application, as per the escrow arrangement with the Bank at the beginning of the engagement and the escrow agreement will include subsequent enhancements as well.
7) The entity should be agreeable to providing training and complete product knowledge transfer to the Bank’s team.
8) The products/ services offered by the Fintech must be technologically ready for deployment in the Bank.
What is the Format for Submission of Client References?
FinTech’s/Startups need to provide Client References of their company with whom they have associated in the past or are engaged at present.
What is the format of Undertaking by a Startup in relation to their application in State Bank of India IT Innovation Start-up Engagement Program (IT-ISEP)?
Startups need to mandatorily provide Affidavit in the form of an undertaking in relation to their Proposal / Application in State Bank of India IT Innovation Start-up Engagement Program (IT-ISEP).
How do I get registered on SBI's Developer Portal? Or how do I create an Account?
Follow below mentioned steps for registration or account creation on SBI API Portal.
2) Click Sign Up (Top Right) on Home Page.
3) Fill all required details.
4) Click on Sign Up button.
5) Your account details will be verified by the Bank.
6) After full KYC verification, you will get the approval and receive activation link.
7) To activate your account, click on activation link that you have received on email.
8) Now, you will have access to the library of APIs with the Swagger Files and mock API call facility after signing in with your login details.
How should I login in to SBI's Developer Portal?
Follow below mentioned steps for login.
2) Enter Username, Password and CAPTCHA details
3) Press Sign in Button.
How do I request for a new password if I am a registered user and forgot my password?
To reset your password, follow below mentioned steps.
2) Enter Username or email address which was used while registration & CAPTCHA
3) An email will be sent to your registered email id and message displayed as “Password reset request for your Gateway developer portal account”
4) You will be directed to the link shared on the email for password reset.
5) Enter a new password and confirm the password after which click save and your new password will be active.
How do I start using my account?
Activated users will Sign into the Portal by entering Username, Password and CAPTCHA.
Users shall have access to the APIs hosted in Developer Portal.
What should I do if I am not able to login with correct credentials?
Please submit your request in the "Feedback" section and select “Login” section.
What is the duration of login credentials?
If you are inactive for 6 months. Your account will become dormant.
What is the process of reactivation of dormant user account?
If user want to reactivate their account, they can send e-mail using Feedback section for unlocking the account by opting Login related option.
Further, user need to do fresh KYC verification. Post verification, as per Bank’s Startup team approval the user account will be removed from dormant state.
How can I Create an APP?
1) Login and go to Top Menu "Apps".
2) Click on create new app.
3) Provide name, description and submit.
4) A Key and Secret will be provided on submit.
5) The Secret will only be displayed here one time.
6) Please copy your API Key and API Secret and keep your records for future.
7) Congratulations, your APP has been created. Go ahead and subscribe to our API.
Is there any User Manual available for accessing the Portal ?
What are the Steps to Subscribe to APIs?
1) Once the app is created.
2) Go to API Product page and select your choice and product.
3) Select the API.
4) Click on Get Access available on the right corner of screen.
5) Select your choice of Plan.
6) Select existing APP or create new APP of your choice.
7) Click on next.
8) Click on Done.
9) Go ahead and try the API.
What are steps to access API’s in API Developer Portal?
Follow the below steps to access API’S in Developer Portal:
1) Navigate to products All API’S and select the API which you want to access:
2) Go to API Products and the list of products will be displayed
3) Select the products for which you require to test the API call
4) Select the API and click on view details, click on POST button
5) You can try SBI API by selecting Try It Menu > Select App
6) Paste the API Secret which you have copied while creating the App.
7) Generate the access token by clicking on generate button
8) Generate the body by clicking on generate button
9) Click on the send button to call the API.
10) Upon successful call in the journey success code (200) will be received while for any error the corresponding error code will be shown
11) Sample request/response are shown in the “Definitions” section of the page.
What is the cost of using the APIs?
The standard plan is free. However, in future Bank may decide to charge the user based on usage as per bank policies.
What is API Plan?
The default plan is 100 API calls per hour per product.
Is there a limit to the number of API calls?
Yes, sandbox APIs are currently restricted to a limited number of calls, according to API Plan’s context.
The default plan is 100 API calls per hour per product.
What languages are included in the code snippets for APIs?
Which browser version does the developer portal support?
API Support browsers like Edge, Mozilla 40 +, Google Chrome 45 +
What responsibilities do developers have in API?
Developers are expected to understand the APIs, their parameters and the method to integrate those with the mobile apps or web portals.
With this understanding they can build the integrations as are needed for Fintech's/Startups.
For whom this API Developer Portal is for?
We are currently publishing this for Startup/Fintech with a new initiative.
If you do not have an integration with SBI, use these APIs to get started.
I have an idea for an API that would really enable my product. Can SBI help me?
We’re always looking for new ways to use our APIs for innovative solutions in the financial technology space.
If you have an idea, we’d love to hear it.
What do I do if I never received an activation email, or the activation link expired?
If you never received an activation email, or your activation link expired.
Please submit your request in the ‘Feedback section and select “Login”.
We’ll share the link with you as soon as possible.
I’m looking for a specific API functionality — how do I know if you offer it?
Our API Catalog page can show you what APIs are available.
If you have a really strong business case for a new API, we’d love to hear about it.
Please submit your request in ‘Feedback section and select “Others” section.
How can I get my Client Id and Client Secret key?
When you register new application/Create an application under your login through APP menu, Client Secret and Client ID is generated.
Where can I find a newly created app?
Newly created Application will be displayed under APP menu.
Does my Client ID & Client Secret key expire?
How can I reset as My Client ID/Client Secret isn’t working?
You can reset the API secret under APP - Subscription section.
Who is the target user group of this API Developer Portal?
The API developer Portal is for Fintech & Startup.
Anyone interested in building value-added services based on Bank APIs can use the platform.
Does the user need to have a bank account to use the portal?
No, User need to sign up to use the developer portal.
Where can I find more information on Prototype Submission?
How do I see my API usage?
The numbers of requests, for different APIs, that your application has made are shown on your “My organization” under analytics section.
You see the total calls made to your API, total errors, Average response time and also the graphical view of calls/errors and status codes as well as API call history.